12.6 C
Bucharest
October 26, 2020
Social SOCIAL & HEALTH

Bucharest Mayor Firea convenes emergency command following heavy rain in the city

Bucharest General Mayor Gabriela Firea has convened for Wednesday, 18:00hrs, EEST, the city’s emergency command to assess the situation in the city and take urgent measures in the areas affected by the latest extreme weather phenomena.

Expected to attend will be the management of the city sanitation operators, Apa Nova water utility, the local police, the Lakes, Parks and Recreations Administration (ALPAB), the Streets Administration, Luxten public lighting corporation, the Environmental Directorate with the Bucharest Municipality and the Bucharest Administration of Hospitals and Medical Services (ASSMB), the Mass Media Office of the Bucharest Mayoralty reports.

A cloudburst occurred on Wednesday after-noon in Bucharest City that left several parts of the city under water.

 

“It was one in twenty years rain”

 

Bucharest General Mayor Gabriela Firea said Wednesday, in the beginning of a meeting of the city’s emergency command, that a rain the intensity of which occurred on Wednesday in the city happens once in 20 years.

“Our specialists say this was rain that only happens once in 20 years. The precipitation reached 40.5 litres per square metre in 45 minutes. Such intensity only repeats in 20 years. That is why we had very large accumulations of water in many areas of the city,” said Firea.

She added that the emergency command will assess the damage and come up with emergency remedies.

“According to the report I have received, the situation is about to be mended to a great extent in the city, but there are still utility vehicles working to increase traffic fluency and unclog basements overrun by abundant precipitation,” the mayor said.

She added that the worst water accumulations have been reported on Stirbei Road, Blvd. Mihalache, Blvd. Titulescu, Grivitei Road, Str. Mitropolit Andrei Saguna (District 1); Str. Ramniceanu, Eroilor Blvd. (district 5), Giulesti Road, Splaiul Independentei (district 6).

Firea reiterated the importance of tree pruning and care given that a tree fell on two cars on Roma Street.

She demanded that all the construction sets in the city be well signalled in order to avoid accidents.

Convened for the emergency command meeting were the management of the city sanitation operators, Apa Nova water utility, the local police, the Lakes, Parks and Recreations Administration (ALPAB), the Streets Administration, Luxten public lighting corporation, the Environmental Directorate with the Bucharest Municipality and the Bucharest Administration of Hospitals and Medical Services (ASSMB).

 

Six flood-stricken counties file applications for nearly 100-mil-lei in aid

 

Six counties have asked the Government for aid to the tune of nearly 100 million lei to clear after the recent floods, Government Spokesman Liviu Iolu said Wednesday at the Government House.

“There are six counties having so far submitted full applications for nearly 100-million-leu worth of aid – Buzau, Caras-Severin, Prahova, Sibiu, Valcea and Vrancea. There are also four counties having submitted incomplete or faulty applications – Alba, Constanta, Suceava and Vaslui. The county of Caras-Severin has informed it will update its initial application to include severe calamities of June 28,” said Iolu.

He added that Deputy PM Vasile Dincu on Wednesday called on the local administrations to file in due course the applications requested for aid to retrieve flood damage.

Iolu said the applications submitted to the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Administration have to comprise only the amounts needed for the recovery of flood-stricken infrastructure components.

“Applications for the recovery of river banks have been submitted to the Ministry of the Environment, Waters and Forestry, the Romanian National Waters Administration, and the Environment Ministry has already made a damage assessment,” said Iolu.

He added that the local administrations have requested the Interior Ministry to make available construction materials from the Government’s reserves.

He said on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning, more than 3,000 firefighters, gendarmes and police officers joined local authorities in protecting the people.

Related posts

Sorin Beraru put on trial

Nine O' Clock

Elena Basescu’s boyfriend gives up ministry post after ‘media lynching’

Test

Romania, Hungary mark 90 years of diplomatic ties

Test