Two Romanian nationals are among the injured in a truck attack that occurred on Thursday night in the French city of Nice when a terrorist gunman killed 84 people and wounded scores when he drove a heavy truck at high speed into a crowd watching Bastille Day fireworks. So far there is no Romanian identified among the dead, Romania’s Foreign Ministry (MAE) has announced.
The ministry says the two are in hospital now.
Romania’s Foreign Ministry (MAE) on Friday morning announced it was taking urgent legal demarches with the local authorities to get additional information about the circumstances of a truck attack on July 14 in Nice, France, and about the citizenship of the victims, through the Romanian Embassy in Paris and Romania’s General Consulate in Marseille. Additionally, a consular team will be dispatched to the scene to provide assistance.
“The two missions have started off specific consular procedures for such instances, are monitoring the latest developments, while keeping in permanent touch with the task forces sets up by the French authorities to deal with the attack and its aftermath. Additionally, a consular team from Romania’s General Consulate in Marseille will be urgently dispatched to the scene to provide assistance,” MAE says in a press statement.
Romanian nationals and their relatives can get in touch with the General Consulate in Marseille +33 491221741; the Romanian Embassy in Paris +33 (0)147052966; +33 (0)147052755; +33 (0)145503997; +33 (0)147051040, in calls to be rerouted to the Contact and Support Centre for Romanians Abroad (CCSCRS) and answered by a call centre available around the clock, as well as the green line opened by France: +33 493722222.
MAE said it will provide updates on the situation as they become available.
ForMin Comanescu: I’ve extended personal condolences to French counterpart on Nice attack victims
Romania’s Foreign Minister Lazar Comanescu told Digi 24 private broadcaster on Friday that he extended personal condolences to his French counterpart on the victims of a Thursday’s night truck attack in the French city of Nice, while assuring France of Romania’s entire support.
Comanescu was alongside French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault in an ASEM (Europe-Asia Meeting) summit in Ulan Bator, Mongolia.
He added that he assured Ayrault of Romania’s full support.
“I have extended in person [to the French foreign minister] my condolences on the victims,” said Comanescu.
“All Romanians are with our French friends in these terrible moments. This is the third time in one year that France was stricken with such brutality,” he said.
Comanescu also said that among the injured in the attack are two Romanian nationals who live in France.
“Unfortunately, two Romanian nationals living in France are reportedly injured and cared for in hospital in Nice,” said Comanescu.
He assured Romanians of MAE’s permanent support for them in France.
“Our service – the Romanian embassy in Paris and the Consular Office in Marseille – is permanent. All channels are functioning,” said Romania’s top diplomat.
President Iohannis: I am strongly condemning horrendous Nice truck attack
Romania’s President Klaus Iohannis is strongly condemning the truck attack that occurred on Thursday evening in the French city of Nice, France, underscoring that the scourge of terrorism must be fought against.
“I am strongly condemning the horrendous attack that occurred last night in Nice on France’s National Day. Terror has once again stricken the French people, Europe. A day of celebration turned into a day of mourning after a criminal hand took the lives of scores of people, leaving more than one hundred injured. The scourge of terrorism must be fought against, and cruel actions must be stopped, and we only can do so united against those who have no justification for their actions,” Iohannis wrote in a Facebook post on Friday.
He also extended condolences to the families of the victims, wishing strength to the injured.
“Romania is with France in these horribly painful moments,” said Iohannis.
Romania’s Head of State conveyed on Friday a message of the condolence to the families left grieving after the Nice terror attack, and said he is staying in close touch with the authorities over two Romanians injured in the attack.
“I am staying in close touch with the authorities to make sure that the two injured Romanians receive all the care they need,” Iohannis said at Cotroceni Palace.
He assured the French people of Romania’s full solidarity.
“It hit us all. Tragedy strikes again France, a country that has been severely tested in the last one and a half year. I want to convey a message of condolence to all the grieving families, wish the injured to return to good health and assure the French people of Romania’s full solidarity,” said the Romanian head of state.
According to the President, “the scourge of terrorism that starts sowing fear and desperation will not succeed in dividing Europe’s fight for and belief in the values of freedom and democracy.”
DefMin Motoc: We have to be more determined in our fight against terrorists
Romania’s Defence Minister Mihnea Motoc is condemning the recent truck attack in Nice, saying full solidarity is needed in the fight against terror.
“A pious thought to those who were driven over on the Nice beach, deep compassion to the their families and their beloved. To France and the French people, the strength to overcome another barbarian attack that this time strikes even harder the deeply humanitarian values France projects to the world each July 14. Yesterday, we were celebrating France’s National Day in Bucharest as well under a motto of ‘Creative France,’ and today we are getting awful news of another carnage, in which two Romanians were injured as well,” Motoc wrote in a Facebook post.
He added that all those who believe humankind has a chance of defending itself against abominable terrorism ought to display solidarity in the fight against such offences.
“We have to be more determined in the fight against terrorists. We cannot have any understanding toward those who have shown once again that they have no limits and shun no atrocity. The French people and all of us who believe humankind has a chance of defending itself against abominable terrorism and prevail ought to close ranks, display solidarity and be determined to fight this fight as long as it takes,” said Motoc.
He added that he extended a message of condolence and solidarity to his French counterpart.
Tariceanu: Hard to understand how inefficient specialist services are in preventing crimes against innocent civilians
Chairman of the Romanian Senate Calin Popescu-Tariceanu says it is becoming increasingly harder to understand how specialist services in countries much experienced in the fight against terrorism prove inefficient when it comes to preventing the conduct of crimes against fully innocent civilians, as it happened in Nice.
“My first thoughts go to the victims of this very bloody attack and to their families, to whom I convey condolences and wish them strength to overcome this painful movement. I am once again compelled to notice worriedly that such tragedies tend to become a fact of daily life, that the criminal minds of terrorists know no borders and that no matter how sincere they are, the statements of chancelleries for too long cannot repair the irreparable. It becomes increasingly hard to understand how specialist services in countries much experienced in the fight against terrorism prove inefficient when it comes to preventing the conduct of crimes against fully innocent civilians,” Tariceanu is quoted as saying in a press statement on Friday.
He says additional security staff can be seen as a complementary measure, because it is impossible to block out terror actions in full, and secret services have a duty to prove their usefulness through efficient actions to neutralise such criminal actions at the level of their decision makers.
Speaker Iordache: We are with the French nation in these rough moments, united against terror
Speaker of Romania’s Chamber of Deputies Florin Iordache on Friday voiced solidarity with the French nation in the aftermath of a July 14 terror attack in Nice.
“The terror attack that cut short the innocent lives of more than 80 persons makes us even more determined in our defence of the values that the French people were celebrating that day – freedom, equality and fraternity. We are with the French nation in these tough moments, united in the fight against terrorism and extremism. We cannot change the drama of the victims’ families, but we can pray for their strength to overcome this difficult moment,” Iordache said in a Facebook post.
PNL’s Gorghiu: Terrorism cannot and will never win
Co-chair of the National Liberal Party (PNL) Alina Gorghiu says, in relation to the recent attack in Nice, terrorism cannot and will not win, wishing speedy recovery to two Romanian nationals injured in the attack.
“Just two weeks ago, it was Istanbul. Today, it is Nice. Once again terror actions cut short scores of innocent lives. Our good thoughts go out to those who suffer because of terror atrocities. To the two Romanians injured in Nice, we wish much strength and speedy recovery. Even in difficult moments like these, we have to be aware that terrorism cannot and will never win, because the force and solidarity of democracies are stronger than those who want to do evil,” Gorghiu said Friday in a Facebook post.
PSD Chairman offers condolences to families who lost loved ones
Chairman of the Social Democratic Party (PSD) Liviu Dragnea conveyed condolences on Friday in the aftermath of the terrorist attack which took place Thursday evening in Nice.
“I offer condolences to the families of those killed last night in Nice! I wish those injured this evening to live and overcome as smoothly as possible the period ahead,” Dragnea wrote on Facebook.
Bucharest Mayor Firea: It’s an aggression against humanity as a whole
Bucharest General Mayor Gabriela Firea has strongly reacted to the Nice terror attack, calling it “an aggression against humanity as a whole” and stressing that nothing can justify such a “heinous act”.
“I am shocked and outraged by the criminal attack in Nice. My mind cannot conceive the slightest justification for such a heinous act. No ideal, no cause, no goal can be invoked to justify this. This is no grandiose fight, no sacrifice on the part of the perpetrators of such acts of cruelty! This is simply an aggression against humanity as a whole! A horrible crime brewed and perpetrated by sick minds! I convey my condolences to the families of those killed in the attack and pray for the lives of those who can still be saved”, Firea says in a release this Friday.
Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate condemns Nice terror attack
The Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate conveyed on Friday a message condemning the terror attack in Nice on the National Day of France, terming it as an “abominable” act.
“The Romanian Christian Orthodox Church rejects any form of violence and extremism that causes victims among the innocent population and contributes to the setting in of an unnatural climate of fear, distrust and insecurity. In these difficult moments, we pray for the repose of the souls of those killed, the quick recovery of the injured and express our compassion and solidarity with the yet again hardly tried French people,” the Romanian Patriarchy writes in a release to Agerpres.
Condolence book opens at French Embassy; tightened security at French organisations in Romania
A condolence book opened Friday at the Embassy of France in Bucharest, and security at French official institutions in Romania tightened after the July 14 Nice terror attack, the French diplomatic mission said in a press statement to AGERPRES on Friday.
“The Embassy of France in Romania thanks all those who last evening expressed condolences and support for the French nation after the July 14 terrorist attack in Nice,” the statement reads.
French flags are being flown at half-mast in Romania.
Security has been tightened around all French official institutions in Romania through the mobilisation of Romanian authorities. “The Embassy of France extends special thanks to the Romanian authorities for their prompt reaction and their availability,” the statement says.
The condolence book opened before the Bucharest headquarters of the Embassy of France, No. 13 – 15 Amzei Church Street, and will be open to the public in the days ahead, 09:00hrs-20:00 hrs.
An online condolence register was also launched on the website of the Embassy of France, with messages pouring in from Romanian top officials, diplomatic missions and citizens. People who wish to express solidarity can do so on: email@example.com.
JusMin Pruna: Nice massacre – another attack to values of European democracy
The massacre in Nice is another attack to the values and fundamental principles of European democracy, said Minister of Justice Raluca Pruna.
“All the compassion and support to France and its people, our deepest compassion to the victims and their families. The massacre in Nice, which took place on the very National Day of France, is another attack to the values and fundamental principles of European democracy,” Raluca Pruna wrote in French, on her Facebook page on Friday.
Motoc: Nice attack – barbarian act; Romania supports France in fight against terrorism
The Nice attack represents a barbarian act, and Romania supports its French partners in the fight against terrorism, National Defence Ministry Mihnea Motoc said Friday, after he went to the French Embassy to sign the condolence book.
“There isn’t much to be added. One can only be speechless in front of some barbarian acts which, as we see, repeat and put the French and the Europeans at a great trial,” Motoc said, sending condolences to the mourning families.
Moreover, he showed that Romania is determined to be alongside its French partners in the fight against terrorism. “We can all be its victims,” added the Defence Minister, who has also sent a message to his French counterpart.
Minister Motoc laid a wreath, lit a candle and wrote in the condolence book opened at France’s Embassy.
Deputies’ Chamber interim Speaker Florin Iordache, former Deputies’ Chamber speaker Valeriu Zgonea, chief of the European Commission Representation to Romania Angela Filote, Government Secretary General Sorin Chelmu, and Foreign Affairs Ministry’s Secretary of State Marius Badescu also wrote in the condolence book.
Valeriu Zgonea maintained that solidarity is needed in such moments.
“Only united will we be able to overcome these issues. We must say a determined “No” to violence, fanaticism and fundamentalism. What is happening today we may say it is the new form of the third world war,” the former speaker of the Chamber said.