Social Democratic Party (PSD) Chairman Liviu Dragnea was sent to court by the National Anticorruption Directorate (DNA) for instigation to abuse of office if the public servant obtained undue benefits for self or others and instigation to document forgery, in his capacity as Teleorman County Council president.
Liviu Dragnea will be judged together with his ex-wife, Bombonica, and with other nine defendants, in a case in which they are accused of protecting two employees from the Teleorman Child Protection Directorate, helping them to receive their salaries for seven years, although they haven’t come to work not even one day, but they were detached to PSD local branch, led by Liviu Dragnea.
Dangerous file for Dragnea, previously convicted to two years of suspended sentence
According to the lawyer Lucian Bolcas, Liviu Dragnea, who is convicted to two years of suspended sentence by the High Court of Cassation and Justice (ICCJ) in “The Referendum” file, could be in danger if he will be convicted in this file. If he’ll be convicted, the penalty should be of maximum 1 year of suspended sentence, to fit “to the limit of the penalty supported by suspension”.
“First of all, it has to be clarified if we are in the presence of the offenses to which it is claimed that he would have instigated. Secondly, instigation, in particular for abuse of office, is a very special offense, it is complicated to be proved, so I have problems and doubts related to the content of the charges”. The lawyer had the same doubts also in “The Referendum” file, which he now says that “it’s clear that it is a political conviction”.
PSD leader, forced to go to the court before the parliamentary elections
Lucian Bolcas has explained for dcnews.ro that until September 1, the judges are in holiday. Some cases are deemed to be urgent and they are sent to the court during the holiday court. “I doubt that this will happen”, said Lucian Bolcas regarding Liviu Dragnea’s case.
The lawyer explained that from September 1, when the file will arrive to the court, it will start “the preliminary procedure before the judge of rights and freedoms. Parties will express their exceptions and views on the indictment. It’s a procedure of the exceptions. The judge of rights and freedoms will decide if he returns the case in order for the investigations to be complete or if he keeps it, then a first hearing will follow, when the parties are interrogated and when they can request another trial date for lack of defense; proofs are requested. Therefore, the judgement will be ongoing in November. That was the purpose”, Lucian Bolcas concluded for dcnews.ro.