11.3 C
Bucharest
October 24, 2021
JUSTICE

Officials of 1989 revolutionaries, PG Lazar discuss Revolution case, emphasise readiness for solution

Teodor Maries, chairman of the December 21 Association representing revolutionaries of the December 1989 Revolution in Romania, said Wednesday, after a meeting with Romania’s Prosecutor General Augustin Lazar (photo) that several prosecutors will be assigned to the Military Prosecution Service to deal with the Revolution and miners’ riots court files.

“The Supreme Council of Magistrates (CSM) has approved a number of prosecutors to be seconded to the Military Prosecution Service because it had been found that there was nobody at the service to deal with the Revolution file. (…) I do not know who is assigned, but we have requested one thing: that appointed to the service be prosecutors having worked on this case and who met at least two conditions – good faith, which is a wish to build the case, and professional competence and stamina to complete two huge files – the Revolution and the miners’ riots files. The file will be taken over and a different prosecutor will be appointed for the case; hopefully, we will find out more at our next meeting on September 26,” said Maries, who met the management of the Prosecution Office with the Supreme Court of Justice to discuss the resumption of investigations under the Revolution file.

Asked about the prosecutors who signed for the Revolution case to be closed, Maries said they are still demanded to leave the Military Prosecution Service, and that a complaint was filed against them with CSM.

“Taking part in the conversation was also one of the prosecutors who worked on these cases, invited by the Mr Prosecutor General, telling us what has been done and what not. (…) He simply said: ‘they took the file from us and we were sent back to the province, where we came from’. It was Ion Vasilache, back then head of the Military Prosecution Service, who took the file from them in 2007 and who no longer worked on the case, nothing was done on it until 2014 (…), while everything that was done from 2014 to 2016 was working on closing the case; no additional investigation was conducted, because nobody was willing to do something about the case, save for closing it,” said Maries, according to Agerpres.

He added that he was given assurances at the meeting that there is readiness for a solution to this case. “Remarks were made at the meeting such as ‘this time you should fully trust us, because there is readiness on our part to solve the case’. That is what Mr Attorney General said,” added Maries.

On June 13, the Supreme Court confirmed the decision of the General Prosecution Service to resume criminal prosecution in the Revolution case.

It sustained a notification from the General Prosecution Service, confirming that the criminal investigation will resume in the Revolution case.

On April 5, then acting Prosecutor General Bogdan Licu announced that the investigation would resume because the solution of the Military Prosecution Service of October 2105 that the case be closed is ungrounded and illegal, “being based on incomplete investigation while ignoring essential information, data and papers regarding the events of 1989, all of which led to the establishment of an incomplete state of facts, erroneous in part, and consequently to misruling, all of which stalls the finding of truth and the identification of all perpetrators and the perpetrators behind them.”

Licu also claimed that the way in which the Military Prosecution conducted its investigation showed there was no concern with establishing essential aspects of the December 17 – 30, 1989 events.

On October 14, 2015, the Military Prosecution closed the case involving events of December 1989 that led to 709 people being killed, 1,855 wounded by gunshots, 343 injured in other ways, as well as to 924 people being detained.

The Military Prosecution ruled back than that the charges of war propaganda, genocide, inhuman treatments, war crimes against property and other rights as well as crime against humanity be dropped, arguing that the charges are not covered by the criminal law as they are not typical of the incriminating legal norms.

 

Related posts

Laura Codruta Kovesi reappointed at National Anticorruption Directorate

Nine O' Clock

Former Timisoara Mayor heard for two hours at DNA

ECHR: Romania violated Kovesi’s rights by dismissing her from DNA leadership before end of term. Reactions. Iohannis: ECHR ruling, unprecedented

NINE O'CLOCK