10.6 C
Bucharest
December 3, 2021
HEALTH JUSTICE Social SOCIAL & HEALTH

Colectiv Association- criminal complaint against those who “managed the situation” after tragedy

The parents of the victims of the Colectiv nightclub fire lodged with the Supreme Court’s Prosecutor’s Office on Tuesday a criminal complaint against several persons who were members of the Government in October 2015, including ex-Premier Victor Ponta, secretary of state Raed Arafat and former Health Minister Nicolae Banicioiu. Eugen Iancu, President of the Colectiv GTG 3010 Association, stated when arriving at the Supreme Court headquarters that the complaint is filed against all of those who managed “the emergency intervention which was catastrophic, as known.”

“We have lodged a criminal complaint against those who managed the situation after the Colectiv incident, among whom are Arafat and Banicioiu. (…) At this point we have lawsuits, we have investigations into what happened up to the door of the Colectiv club, who is to blame, why it caught fire. We want to continue. Our children died because of the medical treatments, because of the refusal to transfer them abroad. We see how the minister in office at that time stated he is a dentist and that he didn’t know what needed to be done, he was advised by doctors. Therefore, the doctors must tell us if they are guilty or the leadership is to blame. (…) Our children died because of the conditions in hospitals, because of incompetence, or the refusal to transfer them abroad,” Eugen Iancu claimed.

When asked if he is talking about generalized malpractice, he responded: “I believe justice must tell us that.”

Eugen Iancu, President of the Colectiv GTG 3010 Association, stated on Tuesday at the Supreme Court that by filing this complaint the Association seeks a continuation of the investigations, because only what happened “up to Colectiv’s door” has been probed so far.

“We want to continue. Our children died because of the medical treatments, because of the refusal to transfer them abroad. We see how the minister in office at that time stated he is a dentist and that he didn’t know what needed to be done, he was advised by doctors. Therefore, the doctors must tell us if they are guilty or the leadership is to blame. The court has to tell us,” said Eugen Iancu whose son, Alexandru Iancu, lost his life in the fire.

He pointed out that the complaint is filed against all those who intervened after people got out of the Colectiv nightclub, in an “emergency intervention which was catastrophic, as known.”

Jean Chelba, the father of Alexandru Chelba, who died in the fire, said that the complaint, which is signed by over 50 persons, mentions “several persons who were part of the country’s leadership at the time, of the Government’s, including the Prime Minister, secretaries of state, ministers.”

Jean Chelba pointed out that Victor Ponta, as Head of Government, should have asked for the activation of the European emergency mechanism.

“We want to tear apart all of their lies. (…) They know very well what’s in store for them,” Chelba added.

In what concerns the accusations, Jean Chelba said that they range from malfeasance in office to influence peddling and involuntary manslaughter. “There are articles in the Penal Code; even inaction is punishable, namely those who did nothing. In the Prime Minister’s case, it’s called inaction,” Chelba said.

He added that all those guilty should pay for the death of 64 young people and the mutilation of many others. “We won’t forget. It has been a horrible year,” Jean Chelba added.

Eugen Iancu also said that the complaint is also directed against the refusal “to properly treat our children, because all of those who made it to the hospitals would have had a chance to live if our leaders had taken an interest in their lives, not in personal interests or egos.”

“We know who was in charge back then and, unfortunately, some of them still want to be. Arafat, Banicioiu, there are hospital managers, there are… Everybody was clamouring we have the conditions, we are better treated than in Germany, although it was known from the first moment that all those making it to the hospitals would die and they would die because of the bacteria, because of the lack of facilities, because of the lack of experience. We don’t want to see nothing happening, just like in the Giulesti Maternity case in which almost nobody paid for it. And I mean sentences. A nurse was found guilty. Let’s be serious,” Eugen Iancu said.

He also added that Raed Arafat was more preoccupied with “lining up his ambulances,” as seen on television.

“We also saw it now, with the accident on the expressway. Arafat was on all television screens, he is the only rescuer in this country, I don’t know what all the others are doing,” Iancu said.

“For the moral and material damage incurred as a result of the tragedy that took place on 30 October 2015 at the Colectiv nightclub, a group of 90 persons filed, from November 2015 to April 2016, written requests to become joint plaintiffs in criminal proceedings. 27 of them are persons who were injured in the nightclub fire, while 63 are heirs/successors of the deceased. The sums they request as damages vary from 30,000 Euros to 2,000,000 Euros,” the DNA points out.

So far, 82 examinations have been carried out at medical institutions and hundreds of documents have been made available.

Likewise, the persons indicted on April 28 (the three club owners – Alin George Anastasescu, Paul Gancea and Costin Mincu) are also being investigated for culpably causing bodily injuries to 92 other persons.

64 people died and 147 were injured in the Colectiv nightclub fire that took place on the night of 30 October 2015.

 

Ponta: I resigned after Colectiv. If we look at it this way, it means Ciolos is to blame for A2 pileup

 

Referring to the criminal complaint lodged with the Supreme Court’s Prosecutor’s Office on Tuesday, ex-Premier Victor Ponta stated on Tuesday that he took the political responsibility and resigned after the Colectiv nightclub fire and the court will decide the rest. Ponta stated that if one were to look at it this way, then it would mean Dacian Ciolos is to blame for the people killed in Saturday’s pileup on the A2 Expressway.

Asked for his comment on the fact that he is among the persons targeted by the criminal complaint filed by the parents of the young people who lost their lives in the Colectiv nightclub fire, Victor Ponta said: “This means Ciolos is guilty for the deaths of those who lost their lives on the expressway on Sunday. Come on…”

“I resigned, I took political responsibility. The court will decide the rest. But I would like us not to turn the deaths of some people into politics,” Victor Ponta said when leaving the High Court.

 

Raed Arafat: We live in a democratic country where anyone can file criminal complaint

 

Raed Arafat reacted on Tuesday too, on Facebook, after the relatives of the Colectiv victims filed a criminal complaint against him.

Proving guilt is the plaintiff’s and investigative bodies’ job, and the accused has the right to assert his innocence, the Interior Ministry’s Secretary of State said.

“Today I found out that two of the parents, Iancu and Chelba, have filed a criminal complaint against me in what concerns the Colectiv tragedy. (…) I consider I have no comment except this point of view I’m posting here. We are living in a democratic country where anyone can file a criminal complaint, and the accused has the right to assert his innocence. Proving guilt is the plaintiff’s and the investigative bodies’ job. I’m convinced that come tomorrow some representatives of the press and some Facebook “activists” will have already judged and sentenced me,” Raed Arafat wrote on his Facebook page on Tuesday, emphasising that “for the time being we are only talking about a criminal complaint.”

 

 

 

 

Related posts

Incidents during consecration of Bucharest church

Nine O' Clock

IntMin Carmen Dan: Safety, an increasingly serious issue unless due measures are taken

Nine O' Clock

NGOs oppose state-church partnership law

Test