President Klaus Iohannis stated on Wednesday, in respect to the recent debates on the procurement of new corvettes, that there is the need “for a better clarification of the procedure” and that he hopes the Government will do it, as promised, for the procedures to start as rapidly as possible.
Iohannis stated that the Supreme Defence Council (CSAT) meeting on Tuesday did not establish the shipyard or the company that will build the corvettes, talks in Parliament being needed.
“There is certainly the need for a better clarification of the procedure. The Government promised to do this. The Defence Minister told us yesterday that he has sent to Parliament the proposals for the large procurement projects, projects that need Parliament’s agreement if they surpass a certain sum. I hope these issues will be expeditiously discussed in Parliament,” the President said.
He stated that if talks take place rapidly then the next step could be taken, namely selecting the bidder.
Defence Minister Gabriel Les stated at the end of the Government meeting last Thursday that the decision that the Ciolos Government adopted last year regarding the corvettes was abrogated, and gave assurances that the corvettes will still be built in Romania, following a new negotiation, after the procedure is approved by Parliament, expressing his hope that an advantageous contract would be signed in the second half of this year.