Vodafone Romania CEO Ravinder Takkar will finish his mandate in mid-July, in order to take over another important position within the Group. Before he leaves, he stated he takes pride in the fact that he contributed to the creation of one of the best telecom networks in the world.
Thus, Supernet 4G+, the Vodafone Romania network, has been certified during all three years as “The Best Performing Mobile Network in Romania” by the P3 communications independent auditor. Moreover, Ookla has designated Vodafone Romania as “The Fastest Mobile Network in Romania.” Vodafone Romania is the world’s only telecommunications operator that simultaneously holds the two awards.
“Romania was the eighth country in the world in which I worked and I knew almost nothing [about it] before I arrived here. The biggest challenge was the competition, which was higher than I expected. High-speed internet is going to be one of the things I’m going to miss. Once you get to Romania, you no longer have to worry about it,” Takkar said.
As CEO, Ravinder Takkar preferred to invest in the network, in 4G, in improving the clients’ experience. “We preferred to give clients better subscriptions, better roaming, to invest less in music festivals or concerts and other activities. Last year, we offered free internet in the subway, for six weeks, to all users from all networks. For me that was a very good method of thanking the clients. For me such a campaign makes more sense, it has a bigger impact on clients, than to sponsor an event. At the end of the day, if you’re going to a festival which says it’s sponsored by Vodafone, does that really mean anything for you,” the CEO of Vodafone Romania explained.
Moreover, Takkar also emphasised other results that Vodafone Romania registered during his mandate:
- In what concerns Roaming 4G services, Vodafone Romania is leader both at national and global levels. During his three years in office, the coverage of international roaming 4G services rose from 4 to 111 countries;
- Number of clients grew for three consecutive years and services revenues grew in the last three years;
- Data volume has grown by 800 percent and the smartphones penetration rate has surpassed 60 percent;
- Video traffic has grown significantly within the Vodafone Romania network, being backed by the quality of the network but also by dedicated services such as the 4GTV+ video and audio streaming service launched in partnership with Netflix;
- The team and working environment make Vodafone Romania one of the most sought-after employers in the country. This year, Vodafone celebrates 20 years and 100 of its employees have been working for the company since it was established.
- In the last three years, Vodafone Romania managed to contribute to growth in the adoption of digital solutions among companies, the “Ready Business” concept being an example of initiative taken in this sense;
Concerning the relationship with the authorities, Ravinder Takkar emphasised that he would like more stability and predictability. “During three years in office there have been 7 Communications Ministers. It’s difficult to have a long-term relationship, especially since our industry is based on infrastructure and you need the ministry’s support, the support of the telecom arbiter,” Takkar added.
Starting July 15, Ravinder Takkar will be appointed as Chairman Vodafone Group Services, Regional Business Development, where he will be responsible for representing Vodafone’s interests in India, including ensuring the successful creation and integration of the new Vodafone India joint venture with Idea. In addition, he will take responsibility for Vodafone’s business development in the Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific Region (AMAP) and will report to Vivek Badrinath, CEO for AMAP. Takkar thus ends a three-year mandate as CEO and President of Vodafone Romania, a role he took on in May 2014.
He will be replaced by Murielle Lorilloux, CEO of Vodacom in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), whose role as Vodafone Romania’s CEO, will be effective on September 1st. From this position, she will report to Ahmed Essam, CEO Europe Cluster.