Next Saturday, after a brief religious and military ceremony in the Bucharest Royal Palace Square, the coffin with the body of King Mihai I will be taken by gun carriage to the Patriarchal Cathedral, His Majesty’s Press Office announced in an updated briefing on the funeral program. In sign of homage, the carriage will be pulled by an operational military vehicle. According to the updated funeral schedule, after the religious service at the Patriarchal Cathedral, the coffin will be taken to the Baneasa Royal Station and from there to the King’s final resting place in Curtea de Arges by the Royal Train.
King Mihai I, who died on December 5 aged 96 at his Swiss home, will return for good to Romania next week when the funeral ceremonies are scheduled as follows:
* On Wednesday, December 13, at 11:00 hrs the coffin with the King’s body will touch down at the Bucharest ‘Henri Coanda’ International Airport, from where it will be taken by car to the Peles Castle in Sinaia.
Attending the arrival event will be the Head of the Royal Family, Margareta, Custodian of the Crown of Romania, members of the Royal Family, representatives of the state institutions, of the Orthodox Church and of His Majesty’s House.
* On the same day at 14:00hrs the coffin will be laid in state in the Peles Castle Hall of Honour.
The Crown Custodian and the Royal Family will be attending.
The condolence presentation time slots are – from 14:00 to 15:00hrs – when the President of Romania, the Presidency of the Republic of Moldova, the members of the Government of Romania and of the Republic of Moldova, members of the Parliaments of the two countries are expected to extend sympathy; between 15:00hrs and 16:00hrs – representatives of the state (central and local) bodies, from 16:00hrs to 17:00hrs – representatives of the diplomatic corps, the European Union, NATO and international bodies, and from 17:00hrs to 18:00hrs – representatives of the Romanian Academy and the State Academy of the Republic of Moldova, of the Orthodox Church, the Catholic Church and of the other religious institutions.
* On the same day, December 13 at 18:00hrs, the coffin with His Majesty’s body will be transported from the Peles Castle to the Bucharest Royal Palace (49-53, Victoriei Road), where it is planned to arrive at 20:30hrs. The coffin will be placed in the Palace Throne Hall.
* All the mourners who will wish to bring floral tributes and bow at the catafalque of His Majesty can do so on Wednesday, December 13, between 21:00hrs and midnight, on Thursday, December 14, from 8:00hrs to 22:00hrs, and on Friday, December 15, from 8:00hrs to 22:00hrs.
* On Saturday, December 16, a brief religious service will be delivered at 10:30 hrs in the Throne Hall of the Royal Palace.
At 10:55hrs, the coffin with the body of King Mihai will be laid on a bier in the Royal Palace Square for a brief religious and military ceremony.
At 11:15 the coffin will be placed on a gun carriage pulled in sign of homage by an operational military vehicle and the funeral procession including the Royal Family, Romanian members of the military, representatives of the Orthodox Church of Romania will walk the route from the Royal Palace Square – Victoriei Road – Splaiul Independentei – Union Square – to the Metropolitan Hill’s entrance, with the arrival time set for 12:15hrs.
After the religious service in the Patriarchal Cathedral, the funeral procession will head at 14:00hrs for the Bucharest Royal Station along the route: Union Square – University Square – Romana Square – Triumphal Arch – Kiseleff Avenue – Bucharest-Ploiesti highway. The coffin will be placed on the Royal Train, accompanied by the Crown Custodian and members of the Royal Family. Media and the public will be allowed at the Baneasa Royal Station.
The time of arrival at Curtea de Arges will be announced subsequently – the Royal House said. Media and the public will also be allowed at the Curtea de Arges Station.
* King Mihai I will be laid to rest in the Curtea de Arges New Archbishopric and Royal Cathedral, beside his wife Queen Anne, in a private burial ceremony attended by the Crown Custodian, the Royal Family of Romania and members of the foreign Royal Families. The time of the ceremony will be duly announced, the Royal House said.