Minister for Business Environment, Trade and Entrepreneurship Ilan Laufer on Friday reiterated an idea already mentioned several times over the past years that a third car producer is interested to come to Romania, but without giving the company name.
“For the Ministry that I lead and for Invest Romania this is a priority to try next year to bring the third car producer in Romania,” the Minister told a press conference.
However, when the journalists asked for the company name he said that: “I cannot tell yet, but this is a priority and you know that I’ve been keeping my promises, even if there was such an occasion, recently, last year, when you laughed at one of those promises. You will see that what I told you is real and the Romanian economy will only have to gain from this.”
Laufer also added that the Invest Romania portfolio currently includes 109 ongoing investment projects, worth a total of 2.5 billion euros.
“By ongoing I mean including such projects currently in the stage when the Romania market is checked, and not necessarily only those projects already implemented. So we have a maximum potential of 2.5 billion euros and 25,000 jobs,” added the Minister.
The idea of a third car producer in Romania, after Renault and Ford, was already mentioned several times over the past years by the authorities. In July 2016, back then Minister of Economy Costin Borc announced that the Romanian side was in talks with two international car companies, which contemplated locating a third car plant in Romania.
“I cannot give you more information, but we are discussing this. I cannot tell you more because, in a big company, nobody likes such information to be disclosed to the public before the board actually makes the decision, for the whole process could be derailed,” said Borc.
“We are discussing about a third car assembly plant being located in Romania. We are in talks with a big international producer, which operates in Europe and outside of Europe too,” he continued.