Turkish Cooperation and Coordination Agency-TİKA, the official development agency of the Republic of Turkey, established in 1992, operates around the world in line with Turkey’s policy of promoting prosperity in the neighboring regions and beyond. Today, TİKA is operating in 170 countries through its coordination offices in 59 countries in 5 continents.
The main aim of TİKA is to establish long-term projects between Turkey and its neighbors and partners, developing common projects tailored based on the local needs.
Through joint projects undertaken in cooperation with local authorities, NGOs, and academia, TİKA acts as a conduit of transferring know-how, capacity building, methods for infrastructure development, and of preserving historical and cultural heritage. It carries out projects in a wide range of fields including health, education, finance, tourism, culture, and restoration. With an experience of quarter century, it realized over 25.000 projects in 170 countries.
TİKA’s activities constitute an integral part of Turkey’s global development assistance. As an emerging donor country, Turkey’s share in the global humanitarian and development assistance displays a rising trend in recent years. In the Global Humanitarian Assistance Report of 2018, Turkey is placed as the biggest donor of humanitarian aid in the world in 2017, given the technical and development assistance on a global scale, with a total amount of 8,07 billion dollars. According to the OECD’s Development Assistance Committee (DAC), Turkey ranked 4th globally in terms of foreign aid percentage to the GDP.
TİKA Project Coordination Office in Bucharest was established in 2015 as part of the Turkish Embassy. Since then, over 100 projects in various fields with active engagement and collaboration of official local partners were completed. Some of the ongoing and finalized projects by TİKA this year include the following:
- Supplying Professional Scanning and Storage Systems (together with their software systems) to the National Library of Romania
- Renovation of the Department of Outpatient Clinic of Medgidia Hospital (ongoing)
- Supplying Medical Equipment and Anesthesia Device for Pantelimon Orthopedic Surgery Department of Bucharest Sf. Pantelimon Emergency Clinic Hospital
- “Clean Living – Hygiene Center” Project in cooperation with Sector 5 Municipality of Bucharest
- Co-organizing the Conference on 140 Years of Diplomatic Relations between Romania & Turkey, with the Institute of Turcology of Babeş-Bolyai University in Cluj-Napoca.
- Renovation and equipping of 38 classrooms at schools in the Dobrogea Region
- Establishment of phonetic laboratories in 2 schools in Bucharest and Constanta
- Contributing to the Organization of the 4th International Cultural Polyphony Conference
- Contributing to two international laparoscopic urological courses in Bucharest (Prof. Th. Burghele Clinic Hospital) and Cluj (Center of Experimental Medicine “Lulia Hatieganu” Medical University and Oncological Institute Prof. Dr. Ion Chiricuta)
- Establishment of Oral and Dental Health Office for Constanta Traian Dormitory in cooperation with Constanta General Directorate for Social Assistance and Child Protection (ongoing)
- Organization of expert training, exchange of experience as well as capacity building programs between the two countries, in areas such as media-TV, medicine, and linguistics.
TİKA aims to strengthen this valuable cooperation and the ties established between two important strategic partners, Turkey and Romania, by the ongoing and future projects. As we mark the 140th anniversary of diplomatic relations and the Centenary of Romania, we would like to thank all our Romanian partners for their support and cooperation they have provided so far.
Yasemin Melez Biçer
Coordinator of TİKA Bucharest