Referring to the statements made by President Klaus Iohannis, former Minister Delegate for European Affairs Victor Negrescu has stated that the analysis carried out by the Foreign Affairs Ministry (MAE) after his departure from office shows that everything was left on scheduled on both the political and logistical dimensions. “Our priorities as a country were approved precisely during the last Government meeting in which I took part. And all elements were presented on the logistical dimension. Proof of that is the fact that they are being handled by the same persons as before. The important thing is to observe all European practices in this field,” Negrescu added.
Victor Negrescu states in a Facebook posting, referring to the press statements that President Klaus Iohannis made in Brussels, that he is surprised that they referred to him, “to certain statements taken out of context,” and to his activity.
“To clarify, Klaus Iohannis’s statement on November 6 (three days before I vacated office), when I was still Minister Delegate for European Affairs, mentioned the fact that he was very pleased with the activity in the field of European Affairs. For those who have a passion for scenarios, I have already stated we didn’t have meetings. What has been said is irrelevant or relates to political games in which I don’t want to be involved,” Negrescu wrote.
He adds that his exact statements regarding his resignation are available.
“I have also presented a detailed activity report. I did not ask for and I do not believe it requires supplementary comments or interpretations. As I have already said, we are moving on. The analysis carried out by the MAE after my departure, confirmed through several press releases, shows that everything was left on schedule on both the political and logistical dimensions. Our priorities as a country were approved precisely during the last Government meeting in which I took part. And all elements were presented on the logistical dimension. Proof of that is the fact that they are being handled by the same persons as before. The important thing is to observe all European practices in this field,” Negrescu added.
President Klaus Iohannis has stated that he is “more optimistic” now than he was several weeks ago in what concerns Romania’s preparations to take over the presidency of the Council of the European Union. Iohannis stated that he does not want to appraise the activity of ex-Minister Victor Negrescu, but that “things are much better.”
On Sunday, President Klaus Iohannis declared himself “optimistic” about Romania taking over the presidency of the Council of the EU.
“Things are moving, and we have the chance,” Iohannis said.
Asked what does “things are moving” mean, the Head of State pointed out that things are moving in the field of practical preparations.
“Some issues pertaining to logistics, endowments, issues that must work from day one, had been left [unaddressed], and I was assured that most of these things – that had been left somewhat unclarified – have been unblocked by the new minister and things are going in the right direction,” Klaus Iohannis said.
When told that former Minister Delegate for European Affairs Victor Negrescu made mention of anti-European actions, not of logistical preparations, Iohannis said: “I won’t appraise Negrescu’s work, but things are much better.”
“People understand we want to have a successful presidency, they are helping us, supporting us, they have concerns after things went the way they did, the apparatus here felt that there is still work to be done until it functions, but I’m much more optimistic now. (…) I have differences of opinion in very many fields with our Government, but not in the field of European Affairs and not in preparing the Romanian Presidency for the Council of the European Union. We must all understand that the internal political fight is one thing, and the presidency of the Council of the European Union – we want it to be a successful one – is another, and things have been well understood,” Iohannis added.