The former spokesman of the Ciolos Government, Liviu Iolu, announced on Saturday his candidacy for EP elections. He says he wants to contribute to drafting an effective plan to fight against disinformation and to limit the consequences of fake news and disinformation.
“I am a PLUS member for a few days, and I’ve submitted my candidacy in the internal campaign for designating the party’s candidates for the EP elections. The internal vote is starting today, so I wish luck to all my 151 colleagues who are validated candidates and who had the courage to enter this competition, and I am sure that PLUS will have the most consistent and competent list for the European Parliament. (…) Three years ago, I was given the chance to be part of the communication team of PM Dacian Ciolos, in the Romanian Government. I weighed this step very well at that time, because I was passing, as they say, on the other side of the barricade. At that time, I was believing that my work in media, my investigations and reportages are already serving very well to the public interest, and I am doing my duty good and hard, in relation with my job and with the readers. I chose to risk, at that time, and not to refuse an experience which proved to be fabulous form many points of view, even it lasted a few months”, Liviu Iolu wrote on Facebook.
He also said that accepting the challenge to be the spokesman of the Government will be a difficult work, but he couldn’t imagine “how complicated is to fight against manipulation, disinformation and fake news, and what monstrous dimension these things have reached in the recent years”.
“Serious media, for which I worked for 15 years, was in an accentuated suffering, loosing day by day small battles against fake news or online ghost publications. Fake news circulated 6 times faster than real information, it’s an unfair war. In fact, intentional or negligent disinformation is one of the greatest dangers for Romania and European Union. The consequences can be devastating for EU’s future and for Romania. Brexit and the campaign that led to UK’s exit from EU is only an example. The governments or the experts in the European Union could find, for the moment, only partial and ineffective solutions against this phenomenon. There is an action plan of the European Commission, which was adopted at the end of the last year (https://bit.ly/2Cktl1e), but we need more than this. I have recently made some decisions on how I want to help with results on fighting disinformation and limiting the consequences of the fake news and disinformation”, Iolu added.
He also stressed that his working experience and training can be useful for fighting this phenomenon and disinformation, and limiting the consequences of fake news and disinformation, through contributions to public policies in this field.
“There are many reasons for which I choose this way; one of them is that after two years since Ciolos Government’s mandate was ended, I am still answering to lies that circulated and were disseminated on various media channels and social networks, regarding the Government’s decisions or Dacian. There’s a long list, so I will come back with details on punctual issues related to this subject and with the experience of the recent years”, the former spokesman of the Government concluded.