On February 27, 2019, the XVIII Congress of the Kazakhstan’s main political party “Nur Otan” chaired by President Nursultan Nazarbayev was held in Astana, during which he identified the country’s primary priorities for the near future – to ensure a decent level of life standards for citizens and development of Kazakhstan as a socially-oriented state.
Over the 20 years since the party’s establishment, our country has traveled a long way towards a large-scale modernization in various spheres of Kazakhstan’s society within the framework of national strategies and programs, such as “Kazakhstan-2050”, the Nation Plan “100 Concrete Steps to implement five institutional reforms”, “Nurly Zhol”, “Rukhani Zangyru”, and the Strategic Development Plan till 2025.
The Government under the leadership of the Head of State has increased the foreign trade turnover of Kazakhstan more than 9-fold, attracted investment in the amount of USD 320 billion, increased incomes of citizens 16-fold, constructed 141 million square meters of houses, 1400 modern hospitals and clinics, 2865 new schools, colleges and kindergartens.
In order to continue the development process, the President defined as the main goal of the state to become one of the 30 most developed countries of the world in the next 10 years. In this regard, to achieve this ambitious goal, he set specific tasks for the Government:
- From July 1, 2019 wages of public sector employees will be increased by 30 percent. These changes will directly affect 1 million civil servants working in the field of health, education, social protection, culture, sports, agriculture and others.
- The Government will allocate USD 790 million for social assistance to low-income households and numerous families in Kazakhstan. The President stated that “Each Kazakhstani family should feel the benefits of the ongoing reforms today. Large families will receive a minimum payment of USD 56 per child to ensure targeted support for families with children who are recipients of social assistance”. The President ordered to increase by 30 percent the allowance to parents and families, raising children with disabilities.
- By instruction of the Head of State, since 2016, the Government has been implementing a housing program “Nurly Zher”. The program is designed to provide the maximum number of Kazakh families with afordable apartments.
In continuation of the implementation of this Program, the President has instructed to build more than 40 thousand rental apartments, mainly for large families with low income. For this purpose, JSC “House Construction Savings Bank of Kazakhstan” will be allocated annually USD 135 million for the issuance of preferential mortgages at 2-3% to large families, low-income families, and families with children with disabilities.
- Education and health care from the first days of independence remained the main priority in the development of the state. In this regard, the President ordered to create at least 1 top university and 10 modern colleges in each region and determined the employment of graduates as the main criteria of their efficiency. Also, expenditures for public health services and primary health care will be increased from 40 to 60 % from total health financing, implying allocation of additional USD 320 million.
- Highways are one of the important elements of the transport and communication complex of Kazakhstan, improving the level of the living standards of the nation. The extension of the network of modern roads is the key task of the Government, so that all objects of the regional transport infrastructure, including airports, auto and railway stations will be modernized. For these purposes, USD 930 million will be allocated and by 2025 the condition of 95% of the roads will be improved.
Taking into account the instructions of the Head of State and the key priorities outlined in the policy of the “Nur Otan” party for the next 10 years, I am confident that there is a huge potential for building mutually beneficial cooperation between Kazakhstan and Romania.
Firstly, Romania has a modern education system in various fields. In this regard, Romanian universities and teachers can actively participate in establishing links with the leading universities of Kazakhstan.
Secondly, the Romanian construction business in recent years is quickly developing and local enterprises have valuable experience in this field. In this context, it is necessary to say that Romanian companies have excellent opportunities in developing projects and building houses/social infrastructure in Kazakhstan.
Thirdly, significant experience of the business community in the construction of highways in Romania opens up opportunities for mutually beneficial cooperation in the field of construction and modernization of the transport infrastructure.
Fourth, the growth of the purchasing power of the Kazakh population stimulates the creation of joint ventures for the production and processing of agricultural products, which can become the basis for expanding and diversifying mutual trade and entering third-country markets.
It should be noted that over the past few years, the Government of Kazakhstan has significantly improved the investment climate and investment protection system. As a result, our country has become one of the best countries for investment, thanks to its strategic geographic location, social and economic stability and advanced human capital. Another important advantage of cooperation with Kazakhstan is the access to a market with 180 million citizens of the Eurasian Economic Union.
The Embassy of Kazakhstan in Romania is ready to cooperate with Romanian companies in all aspects of bilateral trade and economic cooperation. We are open to discuss promising business projects and the organization of economic missions, as well as provide any information necessary for the successful conduct of business in Kazakhstan.