As many as 2,343 new cases of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 have been recorded in Romania since the previous reporting, the Strategic Communication Group (GCS), the official novel coronavirus communication task force, announced on Friday.
All the new cases involve patients that did not test positive before.
Romania’s SARS-CoV-2 total case count reached 132,001 on Friday. As many as 105,582 persons were declared cured.
According to GCS, 2,471,499 tests have been processed nationwide in Romania. Of these, 26,011 were performed in the last 24 hours – 15,436 based on the definition of the case and the medical protocol and 10,575 upon request.
Another 53 people – 36 men and 17 women – infected with the novel coronavirus died, bringing the COVID-19 total death toll in Romania to 4,915.
According to the GCS, 51 deaths recorded are of patients who presented comorbidities and one patient showed no comorbidities, while in the case of another one there have been no comorbidities reported until now.
A number of 7,795 people with COVID-19 were hospitalised in specialist healthcare facilities.
There were 571 patients admitted to ICUs.
In Romania, 10,697 people confirmed with the novel coronavirus are in isolation at home, and 7,452 are in institutional isolation. Also, 23,138 people are in quarantine at home, and 28 in institutional quarantine.
A number of 569 people were retested and reconfirmed to be positive.
The number of Romanians outside the country confirmed with the novel coronavirus is 6,702, while the number of deaths, 126, remained unchanged since the last report.
Bucharest City (517), Bacau County (168), Iasi County (107) and Ilfov (102) recorded the most significant number of new cases since the last report.
Most COVID-19 cases are in Bucharest – 18,285 and in the counties of Suceava – 6,649, Brasov – 6,200, Prahova – 6,027, Arges – 5,561, Iasi – 5,258.
HealthMin Tataru: State of emergency, not necessary, but to observe rules to limit progressive increase in COVID-19 cases
Health Minister Nelu Tataru said on Friday that for the moment the state of emergency establishment is not required, but the observance of the sanitary protection rules to limit the progressive increase in the number of cases of infection with the novel coronavirus.
“The state of emergency, at the moment, is not necessary. What is necessary is to observe these rules to limit this progressive increase, for now, which we have in the number of new cases. We can only limit this increase by respecting the rules, decreasing the transmission in the community and actually of the number of new cases from one day to another,” Tataru pointed out in a press conference at the Education Ministry.
276 children of 0 to 9 yrs old, 597 of 10 to 19 yrs old, positive to COVID-19 in past week
Around 3,200 children between the ages of 0 and 9 and about 5,200 between the ages of 10 and 19 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 since the beginning of the pandemic, Health minister Nelu Tataru said on Friday.
“If we look at the more than 130,000 infected cases since the beginning of this pandemic, we have around 3,200 children between 0 and 9 and 5,200 children between 10 and 19 years old,” said Tataru, at the Ministry of Education.
According to him, in the last week, 276 children between 0 – 9 years and 597 between 10 and 19 years old were confirmed with the novel coronavirus.
“In the last week, at the national level, we are going on a number that we have also evaluated in epidemiological investigations and that we can put in relation to the school, but not necessarily. I mean – one day – has transport, school activity, park activity, family activity. There are 276 children between 0 and 9 years old and 597 children between 10 and 19 years old (infected, ed. n.) between 21 and 29 September,” the minister said.
PM Orban: The risk of new restrictions higher with the increase of number of infected persons
Prime Minister Ludovic Orban stated, on Friday, that the increase of the number of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 can be stopped by increasing the number of those who respect the health protection rules, adding that the “risk” of new restrictions being imposed is higher if the number of cases of COVID-19 increases.
“We have followed, gradually, the taking of measures, on the basis of epidemiological evaluation, of resumption of activities, because our objective was for the economy to function, for all activities to take place in conditions as close to normal as possible. In parallel with these measures, we have ran a public information campaign, campaign by which we asked Romanians to respect the health protection measures. We can stop the increase of the number of cases by increasing the number of people that respect the health protection rules,” said Orban, in a press conference at the Education Ministry.
The Prime Minister reiterated that he asked institutions with control attributions to intensify their activity, and starting with next week he will receive a daily report regarding checks conducted, from those in public transport to those regarding the respecting by companies of the health protection norms which are imposed by regulations.
“My appeal is still the same: do not ignore the danger, the larger the number of people who do not respect the rules, the bigger the risk of transmitting the virus, the larger the number of people infected daily, and just the same the risk of new restrictions appearing increases. We do not want to impose new restrictions, our objective was to ensure the functioning in conditions as close to normal especially the economic activities, and this can be seen in the way in which the economy is developing. (…) On the other hand, maintaining this normality depends mostly on the degree to which people conform to health protection measures,” said Ludovic Orban, according to Agerpres.