As many as 2,958 new cases of people infected with SARS-CoV-2 have been recorded in Romania since the previous reporting, the Strategic Communication Group (GCS), the official novel coronavirus communication task force, announced on Wednesday.
All the new cases involve patients that did not test positive before.
Romania’s SARS-CoV-2 total case count reached 142,570 on Wednesday. As many as 111,564 persons were declared cured.
According to GCS, 2,568,071 tests have been processed nationwide in Romania. Of these, 27,814 were performed in the last 24 hours – 17,351 based on the definition of the case and the medical protocol and 10,463 upon request.
Another 82 people – 52 men and 30 women – infected with the novel coronavirus died, bringing the COVID-19 total death toll in Romania to 5,203.
Of these, one death was in the 10-19 years age bracket, 2 deaths in the 40-49 years age category, 8 deaths in the 50-59 years age category, 18 deaths were in the 60-69-year-old category, 30 deaths in the 70-79 years age group and 23 deaths in the over 80-year age group.
According to the GCS, 79 of the deaths recorded are of some patients who had comorbidities, and for 3 deaths no comorbidities have been reported to date.
A number of 8,303 people with COVID-19 were hospitalised in specialist healthcare facilities.
There were 612 patients admitted to ICUs.
In Romania, 11,965 people confirmed with the novel coronavirus are in isolation at home, and 7,889 are in institutional isolation. Also, 24,600 people are in quarantine at home, and 9 in institutional quarantine.
The number of Romanians from abroad confirmed with the novel coronavirus is 6,767, while the number of deaths, 126, remained unchanged since the last report.
A number of 553 people retested positive for COVID-19, says the GCS.
In the last 24 hours, police and gendarmes have applied 3,401 contraventional sanctions, amounting to 537,823 lei, as a result of violating the provisions of Law 55/2020 on certain measures to prevent and combat the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Bucharest – 514 and the counties of Iasi – 157, Alba – 117, Timis – 104, Prahova – 101, Cluj – 98, Brasov – 95, Constanta – 94, Vaslui – 84, Dolj – 83, Valcea – 82 and Bacau – 82 are the areas with the most newly confirmed cases of coronavirus compared to the last report, informs the GCS on Wednesday.
Most cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection registered so far in Romania are in Bucharest – 20,306 and in the counties of Suceava – 6,918, Brasov – 6,554, Prahova – 6,410.
HealthMin tataru: Intensive care beds still available in Bucharest, but peak likely
Health Minister Nelu Tataru said on Tuesday that there are intensive care beds still available in Bucharest City, but full use is likely.
“At the moment there are beds, but there are maximum capacities that can be reached if we fail to manage intensive care well. That means that everything that means intensive care cases will have to be reanalysed for intensive therapy, intermediate therapy and acute therapy in order to be able to best manage each case separately,” said Tataru.
He added that he did an evaluation of the COVID-19 support hospitals – Ilfov, Colentina and Witting – to readjust the number of beds to the new situation when of an increased number of COVID-19 cases in Bucharest and to prepare for the flu season.
“I went to do an evaluation of the support hospitals and – the Ilfov Hospital, Colentina Hospital, Witting Hospital, as well as the Marius Nasta and Victor Babes hospitals. The evaluation meant everything that means capacity, everything that means adaptation to the new circumstances with an increased number of cases in Bucharest and the ongoing preparations for the flu season. The evaluation of the three COVID support hospitals was made in order to readjust the number of beds for COVID pathology support and, especially, comorbidity pathology for SARS-CoV-2 infected patients, as well as for other infectious diseases since there will be influenza and SARS-CoV-2 infections contemporaneously,” saidTataru.
Bucharest closes bars, clubs and discos
Bucharest Prefect Gheorghe Cojanu announced that the decision was made at today’s meeting of the Bucharest City Committee for Emergency Situations (CMBSU) to close bars, clubs and discos in the capital city.
In a press statement, Cojanu said that it was also decided to narrow from 100 meters to 50 meters the outer perimeter of educational institutions where mask wearing is mandatory between 7:45 – 21:15 Monday through Friday.
CMBSU has also decided to shut down gambling sites and casinos, except for betting places and lotteries where tickets are issued.
Compiled from Agerpres