The Attorney General’s Office announced on Tuesday having ordered the medical equipment taken from the Piatra Neamt County Hospital be checked to test the hypothesis of the fire at the hospital having been started by faulty equipment.
The office unveiled in a press statement on Tuesday the latest developments in the investigations taking place at the Piatra Neamt County Hospital:
*A check of the medical equipment taken from the hospital has been ordered to test the hypothesis of the fire having been started by faulty equipment;
* The objects taken for investigation were sent to the bodies authorised and designated to perform the testing;
*Victim identification continued;
* New witness hearings were held.
Prosecutors in this case have opened a criminal case in rem for culpable homicide and culpable negligence.
On Saturday evening, around 18:30hrs, at the Piatra Neamt County Emergency Hospital, a fire erupted that engulfed the intensive care unit there were 17 patients were hospitalised in two wards.
As many as 10 people died in the fire, and an anesthetist suffered severe burns. Six other hospitalised patients were taken to the Mobile Hospital in Letcani, a COVID support facility. A doctor of the same hospital injured in the fire was rushed on Sunday to Queen Astrid Military Hospital in Brussels, for specialist care.
Dr. Cristina Iacob Atanasoaie – new interim manager of Piatra-Neamt County Emergency Hospital
Dr. Cristina Iacob Atanasoaie is the new interim manager of the Piatra-Neamt County Emergency Hospital (SJU), sources from the health unit told AGERPRES.
Dr. Atanasoaie was proposed by her colleagues to take over the management of the health unit during a meeting between the management of the Neamt County Council and the medical staff.
Dr. Cristina Iacob Atanasoaie also led Piatra-Neamt SJU in the past, but she also had management positions at the Pneumoftiziology Hospital in Bisericani.
Lucian Micu resigned on Tuesday morning from the position of interim manager of Piatra-Neamt SJU following Saturday’s tragedy in the ICU ward, where 10 COVID-19 patients died in a fire.