Education Minister Sorin Cimpeanu said on Tuesday that the sexual education curriculum is important and must be included in a modular system under the concept “Education for Life”, but that students should be able to withdraw from these courses if their parents do not agree to this; he also noted that there are debates underway on this subject within the ruling coalition.
“There are debates within the coalition. My point of view is extremely clear: sex education is extremely important and must be done. Parental consent will be required in the following form – and this will be the proposal of the Education Ministry: all students enroll for a discipline that includes elements of sexual education, and they have the possibility to withdraw should the parents not agree. It’s the same principle applied in 2015 for the religion course. Sex education is currently integrated in the health education curriculum, which has a very judicious structure, starting with the 5th grade with the simplest notions and progressively advancing to the 12th grade to the most complex and complicated notions of sex education. It’s a very well designed syllabus that must be taught by biology teachers and possibly by medical staff,” the EduMin explained in a press conference.
Cimpeanu said that the Education Ministry’s proposal is for this discipline to be integrated through a gradual distribution of notions correlated with the age of the students, along with health education, education for a healthy diet, legal, financial, road education, which could be all grouped in a modular system under the concept of “Education for Life” “with one compulsory hour per week from the 5th to the 12th grade.”
The Minister remarked that there is also the problem of the “competent” human resources to teach this discipline, which is the Education Ministry’s task to solve.
94.2 pct attendance at first test of National Assessment exam
Attendance at the Romanian Language and Literature test within the National Assessment exam, which took place on Tuesday, was 94.2 percent, Minister of Education Sorin Cimpeanu told a press conference.
“Until this hour, we registered the attendance of 123,563 students out of the total of the 131,177 enrolled for the National Assessment examination, the Romanian Language and Literature test. The percentage is 94.2, higher than that of the students who attended last year, 93.1 percent. Practically, 7,616 students enrolled in the National Assessment examination failed to turn up,” said Cimpeanu.
According to him, a candidate was eliminated from the exam in Bucharest.
“In Bucharest, out of 12,006 students there were 190 absentees and unfortunately there was one [student] expelled from the exam. The only case of elimination from the exam was that of the student in Bucharest,” the minister said, according to Agerpres.