- France, Italy, Spain and Other Countries in the Region to Follow
- For Zebrapay, the developer of the SelfPay payment solutions, 2022 marks a year the company is consolidating its local operations, as well as the start of expanding its business abroad and the launch of the SelfPay Now mobile app
- The company’s turnover grew to over 70 million lei in the first half of 2022, up 17.5% over last year’s first semester turnover of nearly 60 million lei
- The SelfPay network currently operates 8,200 payment stations, up from 7,700 at the end of June
- Also in June, the company entered the Irish market, where it is already operating 65 Payment Stations. The company will start local operations in France, Italy and Spain over the coming months
- Major investments in the first semester of 2022 were funneled towards expanding the Payment Station network and the development of the company’s own software platform and mobile app launched in the first quarter of this year
Zebrapay, the developer of SelfPay solutions and the operator of the largest self-service payment station network in Romania, processed 20% more transactions in the first semester than in the same period of last year, while the aggregate payment volume was up 27.44%.
In the first semester of 2022, SelfPay’s revenues rose by about 18% due to the strategic diversification and growth of our service portfolio, with 220 services available today to users. Revenue growth also follows the expansion of our nationwide Payment Station network, which saw the number of units increasing to 7,700 at the end of the first half of 2022, a 22% jump over last year-end figure.
SelfPay is currently the market leader by total number of self-service units, with a market share of about 70%. In September, our network had already expanded to 8,200 Payment Stations throughout the country.
Local development and consolidation are complemented by the launch on markets abroad: in June, the SelfPay Payment Stations launched in Ireland, where the network is already operating 65 units, with more to follow. In the near future the company will launch its operations in France, Italy and Spain, as well as in other countries in the region.
The first half of this year also marked the launch of the SelfPay Now mobile app in Romania, which offers users a first-in-Europe Cash Deposit feature that allows users to make real-time cash deposits on to their bank cards without needing to travel to the bank. Six months after launch, over 50,000 user accounts were created in the app. In September, SelfPay Now held more than 1% of the market by number of cash deposit transactions to bank cards, according to National Bank of Romania data.
To finance these projects, last year the company launched a 3-million euro corporate bond issue and took out a 1.2-million euro investment loan, with further investment loans worth 4 million euros contracted in 2022. Major investments in the first semester of 2022 were funneled mostly towards expanding the Payment Station network and the development of the company’s own software platform and mobile app.
“The year 2022 brings positive results, beyond the company’s business plan forecasts and in line with our development over the recent years. The first six months of 2022 were mainly marked by the company’s efforts to grow and streamline our nation-wide Payment Station network and the implementation of new services that bring added value to our customers. Our achievements so far, as well as the trajectory of our ongoing projects, make us certain that 2022 will show business growth reflected as such in our financial results”, says Adrian Badea, Zebrapay CEO.